Saturday, June 8, 2019

Plans and Promises

We have had major flooding in my area over the last couple of weeks. Many people's homes were flooded and some lost everything. It has been devastating. As the flood waters have started to recede, the clean up process has begun but it will be a long time before things are back to normal around here.

As if we didn't have enough water, we've just had several days of torrential downpours. On top of the major flooding we have endured, flash flooding has been occurring the last couple of days. It seemed there was no end in sight.

Last night at sunset, as the rain clouds finally started to clear and move on out of our area, there was a beautiful rainbow in the eastern sky. I saw pictures of the whole rainbow on social media last night, but in the area where I live there are so many trees that I can see very little of the sky from my yard. I was sitting on the porch enjoying the cool breeze, when I started to notice an orange glow through the trees to the east. I was curious about what this could be, so I went out into the street to see what it was. 

I stepped into the street and saw a breathtakingly beautiful rainbow. The picture here does not do it justice. The colors were brilliant and stunning. I ran to the back yard to see if I could see the other end of it, but I could only see tiny bits here and there through the trees. I was just happy that I got to see some of it; I usually miss these things because I tend to stay in the house all the time. I was glad I risked being on the mosquito buffet yesterday evening; it was worth it to see this reminder of one of God's promises.

This made me realize that this is how we see God's plan for us. He sees the entire plan from beginning to end; we only see a fragment. We can't tell where God is going with this current situation we are in. "What are you up to?" we often ask Him. Because we can't see the whole plan, it doesn't always make sense to us. 

This scripture came to me during my prayer time this morning. It seems very timely; I've prayed along these lines many times during physical and other types of storms. God has always taken care of me: 

"Hear my cry, O God, give heed to my prayer. From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy. Let me dwell in your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. Selah." Psalm 61:1-4 NASB

It is uncanny that I stumbled across a scripture talking about higher ground when so many were scrambling for just that in the last couple of weeks. I know it isn't necessarily literal, though. It serves as a reminder to me that when we put our trust in God, He is always guiding and protecting us. Whether the enemy happens to be raging flood waters or some other type of disaster in our lives, He is always with us.

I am encouraged today because of the reminders of God's promises; both in the sky and in His word. I hope you are, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment