Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Do Not Fear

Just about everyone I know has struggled with fear on some level. It seems to be quite common these days. Whether it is the fear of being alone or the fear of the unknown future that looms ahead, it is very likely that most people have dealt with it, or are dealing with it now.

I'll admit that I have certain fears that keep plaguing me. I know the Lord is protecting me, but I still have my moments. So I decided to do something  about it.

I am currently in the process of looking up scriptures dealing with fear and writing them in a notebook. I've titled it "Removing Fear." You could say I'm researching it, except the Bible is the only source I'm using, so the works cited page would be short if it were for a class. It's not, though; I graduated and I have no desire for another degree.

But I digress....

Because of this research, don't be surprised if some posts on the subject pop up some in the coming weeks and months.

I came across an interesting account of a battle in 2 Chronicles the other day, and I can't quit thinking about it. It's where Jehoshaphat learned of 3 armies headed his way to fight against him, and he was afraid. He asked the Lord for help, and the Lord spoke to him through Jahaziel, saying:

"Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's...

You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the Lord on our behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem."

You can go and read all about it in 2 Chronicles 20. I won't quote the whole thing here, but basically Jehoshaphat and the people went to the place where God had told them to go to watch, but they were not to fight. As they sang praises to God, they watched the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come to make war with Jehoshaphat, turn on each other instead. After the battle, none of the enemies had survived. Not one.

The enemies destroyed themselves in this battle! The inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem did not lift a finger but watched them all turn on each other.

Jehoshaphat and his people gathered up all the spoil (the valuables that the armies had brought) and it took them 3 days to get all of it! Three days!

I don't know about you, but reading about this battle has encouraged me so much. 

"The battle is not yours, but God's." 2 Chronicles 20:15 NASB

Praise the LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment