Most of you already know about my accident, but I'm getting back to blogging as of today (Yay!) and wanted to start off with the events of that day to get it over with. First, though, let's remember what August 3 is the anniversary of...
Five years ago...
August 3, 2021: The evening I rolled into the town where I now live, about 9:00 pm, having driven here from Van Buren, a 3.5 hour drive. After walking that morning I had planned to write a post about the 5th anniversary of my relocation to where I grandkids live. However, my day did not go as planned that day. I never even got to the walking track...
...instead, I fell and broke my shoulder. My RIGHT shoulder, and yes, I'm right-handed. Here, at long last, is that story. I couldn't write about it for a while because my right arm was incapacitated; then after surgery it was too painful physically to use my hand to type or write. Then I started to get better physically but I just wasn't there emotionally. I couldn't find the words to write about it yet.
2026:
Monday, August 3, 2026 started out full of promise. It was somewhat cooler than it had been for the whole brutal, blazing hot summer. I went to the library to return a book that was due that day and stood looking at the ASU trail, just down the hill from the library for a minute. I considered walking on my favorite trails on the ASU campus, but I decided to go instead to the new aquatic center where I had a membership and had been walking since early June on their walking track above the gyms.
So many times since that day I have regretted that decision. If only I had walked at ASU that morning!
Alas, though, I went to the MHCC (Mountain Home Community Center) where I had been walking. That morning, however, the parking lots where I had been parking were all full. I drove around until I came to a parking lot that I had never parked in. I found it had empty spaces and parked there. I headed toward the sidewalk in front of the building that led to the front entrance. To this day I'm still not sure what happened exactly; I stepped onto the sidewalk but somehow missed the step I think. I tripped and landed on the concrete sidewalk.
![]() |
| Next day after shoulder replacement surgery |
In ONE second, the time it took to fall, I lost my independence that I had so fiercely been trying to hold onto by walking 1.5 to 1.75 miles a day for a year and a half.
I was dazed, and didn't understand how I ended up falling, but a lady that had just parked near me rushed to me to help me up. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't raise my right arm.
Long story, but I found my phone and called my daughter, who came and took me to the ER. Hours later, after 2 CT scans and a supposed fractured humerus, I left the hospital in a sling with an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor.
Turns out, my humerus was broken at the top, including my shoulder. In fact, it was crushed. Ten days later I had surgery and now have a reverse shoulder replacement.
I am now 7 1/2 weeks post-surgery and have been having physical therapy for 4 weeks. There is a light at the end of the tunnel; I'm gaining more and more use of my right hand and arm, though it is still painful to write or type for very long.
I will be back to daily walking soon; especially now that it's getting cooler. At first, I think I will stay in my neighborhood, just until I get my strength back. Before long, though, I'll be back at ASU. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to MHCC and the indoor walking track. I guess I'll have to conquer that fear someday, though.
Stay tuned for more walking adventures. I'm praying they are all uneventful with no injuries.
In order to end on a positive note, I'm including a picture of my tiny little garden by my porch, and a scripture. I have been very cast down over the last few months, but I'm on the way up at last.
Why are you in despair, my soul? And why are you restless within me? Wait for God, for I will again praise Him For the help of His presence, my God. Psalm 42:11 NASB| My front porch tiny garden for summer 2026 |

No comments:
Post a Comment