Tuesday, March 17, 2020

What to Do When You are Afraid


I've been absent for a while now. I hope there is still someone who wants to read this blog, because it's not going away. I just had to be silent for a while.

So a lot is going on in the world now. You can't turn on any TV without hearing "Corona Virus" or "COVID-19" within a few minutes. People are stockpiling everything. Everything. The store was out of toilet paper, dishwashing soap, butter, ground beef, and most of the eggs when I was in there a couple of days ago.

I've never seen anything like this in my life.


This is downright panic we are seeing here. People are grasping at what they feel like they will need, and getting a little extra just to be sure. What causes this kind of behavior? I'll tell you my opinion:

FEAR. 

People are fearful, because, no one really knows what is going to happen next. They want to be prepared for anything, so they are buying everything.

I'll admit, it's a little scary and unsettling. It's natural to be a little scared of the unknown. I've been afraid many times in the many years that I have been on my own. Experience has taught me: when I'm afraid, run to my Father. He alone has the answers to my problems; He alone can calm my fears by reminding me of His promises. I go to His Word and read some of those promises:

When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. Psalm 56:3

I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4

Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. Psalm 55:22

Ok, I like the Psalms. I had a problem with fear when I first became single again, and I camped out there for a while. I recommend you read three chapters of Psalms a day if you have a problem with fear. It really helped me when I did that.

There are also scriptures dealing with fear in the New Testament. 

Perhaps the most well known one is: 

God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.  2 Timothy 1:7 KJV

There are the words of Jesus in John, telling us to not be fearful:

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled; or let it be fearful. John 14:27


These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world. 
John 16:33

The bottom line is this: the answers are in the Bible. If you are afraid and trembling with uncertainty (no judgment here; I've done it) then go get your Bible and read it. Pray, of course, pour out your heart to God, and then read His word. That's where the answers are. 

I have too many scriptures on fear to include them all here. I plan to put one every night on my Facebook page over the next couple of weeks, so check back for more.

Take heart. This too shall pass. The main thing is, do you trust God? He is your hope and your answer. He will take care of you if you give Him your heart and turn to Him.

As David says in one of his Psalms:

Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, For my soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge until destruction passes by. Psalm 57:1

He is my refuge, my safe place. I trust in Him to get me through this troublesome time.

Be blessed, my friends. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment