Sunday, August 11, 2013

Progress

The last time I posted on here, I was struggling with perfectionism. I would love to tell you I have conquered it, but I have not. I believe I am making progress in overcoming it, but it's still hard for me to do things like sit down and watch a movie if the laundry isn't finished, or if I intended to vacuum and still haven't, or I had planned to work on the picture albums but haven't managed to. I have these goals; things I want to work on, and I am usually not happy if I fail to stay on course and check off items on my "list."

This is not to say that goals are bad. I believe in setting goals and striving to be better. It's when the "checkmark" on the "checklist" becomes an end unto itself instead of merely tracking progress toward a goal that checking things off a list becomes a negative thing. This is the behavior I am overcoming, one step at a time.

I currently have to take 6 more classes and I will be finished with my bachelor of arts. Only six classes! I've been a college student for a long time, and it's a goal I am definitely reaching! It has taken me a while because, as a single woman with a full-time job, I have only taken 2 classes a semester most of the time. Last semester was a rarity; I took 3....and survived.

So, progress has been made. I no longer think I'm a failure if I don't do everything on my list, for instance. I have learned to accept that it's ok if I don't get around to everything every day. Progress, whether a little or a lot, is good and a positive thing. As long as I'm making progress, I'm moving forward.

I had goals at the beginning of the summer, and I've made fair progress. I started painting the kitchen. I consistently had time with God every morning, even though some days it was 5 minutes. I have read the Bible almost every day. I have started the journey towards living a more "minimalist" lifestyle by going through my "stuff" and giving some of it away. These are all positive steps...progress.

I think it's ok if I haven't achieved everything on my list. After all, God hasn't finished working on me, so why should I think I have to have my goals all completed? I'm a work in progress, just like it says in Philippians:

"I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." Philippians 1:6 NLT

So I keep on keeping on. 

Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment