Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Saying Goodbye

The vacation was winding down; Wednesday night I had to pack all my stuff because we were leaving about 10 the next morning for Richmond. It's amazing how stuff gets everywhere when you are living out of a suitcase.  I managed to gather it all up and get it where it would be easy to practically just throw my pjs and toothbrush in and go.  I never could find the spray I bought after I got there for conditioning my hair before using the Chi.  I finally decided I must have packed it deep within my larger suitcase that I was going to check, so no biggie.  It was about 5 or 6 ounces, over the limit for the carry-on.  You can only take liquids if they are 3.4 ounces or less and they have to be enclosed in a quart-size ziplock bag.   

Morning was there quickly.  Goodbyes are hard, and Jeff had to leave for work about 8:30, and Alli left soon after that. It makes my heart hurt right now just thinking of it.  Then it was just Jeremy and me.  We put our stuff in the car and headed for the Wa Wa, which is a chain located mostly in the southeast that has great coffee and cheap gas.  I have never seen a better coffee bar in my life.  Several different kinds of coffee lined the wall, and in the middle was the cream and sweetener station.  There was a section of different kinds of milk, half n half, and creamers submerged in an iced-down cooler.  It was, in short, a coffee drinker's dream.

We started for Richmond, which is about a 45 minute drive, with Jim Croce singing on the CD player.  Jeremy and I had a great visit just driving to the airport.  Sooner than I was ready for, we were at the airport and I had to part ways with my other son.  I swallowed the large lump in my throat as I said goodbye and walked away, toward the terminal.  I had a little trouble finding the Delta counter, but an airport security person showed me which direction to go.  It was a confusing airport. 

I checked in at the kiosk and got my boarding passes, then checked my baggage.  Now it was on to the security screening.  There was not a long line and it was my turn before I knew it.  I put all my stuff in the tubs on the conveyor belt and walked through the metal detector.  After I passed this inspection, I headed toward my stuff and started gathering it all up. I noticed that my laptop carry-on was there, but the other suitcase was not.  About that time, a security officer asked me to step over to an area where a more in depth screening can be done.  They were going to search my luggage?  For what?

Remember full size bottle of hair conditioner I couldn't find?  They found  it.  Because they found it, they searched me and my luggage to see if I was a terrorist I guess.  I told the guy that I accidentally brought that bottle in my carry-on, that I had intended for it to be in my checked luggage but I never could find it.  He and the other security people decided that it was indeed a hair care product and that I meant no harm and had accidentally brought it.  They threw it away and let me have my suitcase back.  I wasn't badly upset by this; if anything it made me feel more secure knowing that the TSA people take our safety seriously.

I then had to find my gate, which I did without any trouble.  It was an hour before my flight, so I was doing good.  I got a bottle of water and sat down to work on my homework while I waited to board.  I had written the paper the night before, but wanted to re-read it before I submitted it.  I made a couple of minor changes and saved it, but before I could get to the website and send it on its way, my flight was called.  I was soon on my way to Detroit.

And that's another story in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment