Sunday, May 25, 2014

Back Off

I have this thing about being tailgated: I hate it.  

I'm sure everyone would agree that accidents are no fun. I have been in a couple where I was sitting still waiting to turn left and was rear-ended.  I can't describe how I felt when I looked into the rear view mirror just in time to see that I was about to be hit and there was nothing I could do about it. It's been nine years since the last one, and I still get nervous when I'm being followed too close. 


The interstate in my area has been under construction for almost a year and a half. Traffic has been a nightmare, and I have avoided driving on it whenever I had another option.  When I did drive on it, invariably I would get stuck in front of someone who undoubtedly thought I would speed up if they got too close. Nevermind the fact that I could only go as fast as the person in front of me, since each side of the interstate is down to only one lane and there is no passing lane. It's maddening.

About the time the construction started, we learned a new song at church, "Whom Shall I Fear?" by Chris Tomlin. One day when I was stuck on the interstate, being tail-gated by a bully, the chorus of that song popped into my head:


"I know Who goes before me, I know Who stands behind,

The God of angel armies is always by my side..."

Immediately, I felt the Holy Spirit telling me, "You don't need to be afraid of someone hitting you from behind.  God is your rear guard and He also goes before you."


Ever since that day, I have had no trouble with tailgaters on the interstate or anywhere else.  I even have peace when driving in heavy traffic.  A few times someone has been a little too close for comfort, but I started singing that song and thanking God for His protection, and they backed off. Seriously, they really did. I was surprised the first time, but I have come to expect it. My God has my back. Really.  

I still don't like being followed too closely, but I have no doubt I will be completely delivered from this fear someday.  Just like everything else He has delivered me from, it is something I have to walk through. I will just realize someday it doesn't bother me anymore.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid?
The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?" Psalm 27:1,2 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment