Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sadness

This past week was interesting. The new classes started, and they are going great. I think I'm really going to like my Chaucer class (yea, I know--but remember, I'm an English major nerd).

As I was leaving my first class on Monday, I got a phone call from a relative telling me that my nephew had passed away. Since my brother was almost 15 years older than I, his son was closer in age to me and more like a brother when we were growing up; only 5 years younger. He lost a battle with cancer at the age of 54. Too soon; too young. We hadn't been close in our adult lives. I hardly ever saw him; we had kind of lost track of each other. I always meant to get in touch with him, and I prayed for him when the Spirit put him on my heart. I was saddened to hear that I will never get the chance to chat with him, or catch up on family with him. He had trusted in Christ as his Savior, thank God, so someday I will see him again, just not on this earth.

I also heard of two other people from my past dying this past week. One earlier this week, from my childrens' grade school days, and one just today, from my high school graduating class.

It's never easy to let go of those family members or friends who have impacted our lives. This causes me to realize that I should re-evaluate my life and the people around me. I've made a list of some things I intend to do on a more regular basis.  I will do my best to:

...ask that friend or family member if they have accepted Christ.
...call that friend when I feel prompted by the Holy Spirit.
...do something kind for someone in my life.
...be nice, even when I don't feel like it.
...tell those close to me what they mean to me a lot more often.
...encourage my friends, family, and co-workers whenever I get the chance.

That's a short list, but it's a start. Folks, we aren't promised tomorrow. We need to make every second count.

Have a blessed week.

Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And you have placed your faith and hope in God because he raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory. You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. Love each other deeply with all your heart. For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.~~1 Peter 1:21-23 NLT


2 comments:

  1. Very well stated, Debbie. As we get older, I think more and more of how short our time is on Earth. I feel such gratitude to God for the time that I have had and hope for much more. I am so grateful for the people in my life now and those who have passed on.

    Heaven will be so wonderful, not only to see our Creator and Savior, but our loved ones who are gone. I would so much like to go back and spend a day, an hour, with my mother or daddy. I would like to just listen to their voices. My mother had a beautiful, ladylike voice that sounded of the South.

    I want my daddy to tell me stories of his time in The War, World War II. I would listen and not be impatient with his tales. The stories have such value to me now. Pictures are just not enough.

    I want to watch my two grandmothers cook and write down their recipes. I want to laugh with Grandmother Rembert about her stories of dating my granddaddy. I want to watch her show me the Charleston and see her giggle. She always reminded me a sparrow, so tiny and full of life.

    I want to listen to my Grandmother Barclay tell me stories of The Great Depression in Arkansas, hear the strength in her voice, the determination to not be beaten by circumstances. I want to ask her about her memories of her mother, an Indian who married an Irish immigrant, and lived to regret it. I want to feel her hugs and smell her coffee breathe.

    My ideas of "treasures" are so different from when I was young. I am grateful for my memories. You are part of those precious times. I am grateful for my time spent with you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luci, for your sweet words. I am grateful for you, too. Your friendship is one of the good things from my past. I, too, would love to talk to my mom, dad, grandma, and my brother. I didn't appreciate them when they were here like I would if they were here now. Age and life has a way of changing our perceptions.

      Delete