Sunday, January 12, 2014

Holidays and Family Time

Here I am, posting less than 2 weeks after my last post.  I'm making progress!  I will get this regular posting under control.

It has been an eventful few weeks.  The weekend before Christmas, my daughter and family came and we had "Christmas" a little early so they could be back home for my granddaughter to have Christmas morning at home.  I totally get that; we did that when the kids were growing up, too.  We always had Christmas Eve at my parents' house and Christmas Day at home, but since my daughter and I live 3 1/2 hours apart that isn't feasible.  So the weekend before works.  At least we all get to be together.

Following my daughter's visit, Christmas Day my oldest son came in and stayed with me until the following Sunday. We had a great visit; Christmas dinner with the cousins, which turned into a fun game night complete with a session of "Just Dance," or something like it on X-Box and lots of catching up with everyone. Then he and I went back to my house for our traditional viewing of the Doctor Who Christmas Special later that evening. We also went to see "The Desolation of Smaug" during his time here.  Great movie.

Finally, this past week my youngest son came for a visit. He stayed with me part of the time and also drove upstate to see his sister and niece, whom he hadn't seen in over 2 years. We also had a great visit; lots of catching up as well as 2 movies at the theater; "Catching Fire," which was excellent, and "Frozen," which was surprisingly good.

Yes, we do a lot of movie watching, but that's what we enjoy.  Their childhood was filled with lots of movie watching, and we have some great memories of those times.

So, as I said before, it's been an eventful few weeks.  This last week was crazy; 9 degrees Monday, freezing rain and sleet Wednesday, and a snow day Thursday (which, ironically, I spent alone since my son was visiting his sister).  The week ended with my son coming back and spending a couple of days with me before going back home today.

Oh, and the temperature today was 70 I believe.  Quite a change from 9 degrees earlier in the week, though I don't really like warm weather, especially in the winter when it's supposed to be cold.

And now, for something completely different:  Classes start tomorrow!  I'm ready to get going on the next to last semester of my bachelor's degree.  The excitement generated by my upcoming college classes has helped take the sting out of the "empty nest" I always feel when my children have been here and gone again. A definite improvement.

God is healing my heart in the most incredible way.  He is amazing.  "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."  Psalm 147:3 NASB.

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment