Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Small Town Girl Goes to DC, part 2


So...As I said in my last post--two months ago!-- I flew into Reagan Airport in Washington, D.C. on November 18, the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  Small town girl or not, I still managed to get from the airport to the train station in plenty of time. It was a wonderful time.  I got to spend time with Jeff and Alli, Mary (Alli's mom) and I saw Breaking Dawn 2 in an imax theater, and we saw lots of historic sights.  We saw the home of James Monroe on Monday and toured Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello (pronounced Mon-te-CHel-o, as our tour guide was quick to point out) on Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday, we headed to Washington, D.C. after a fantastic breakfast at one of Charlottesville's local restaurants. It's only 2 hours away from there, so we were there in no time.

We stayed in a row house apartment in the beautiful Old Town section of Alexandria, Virginia, which is just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. I loved Alexandria!  So beautiful, and so much history.  We cooked  and ate our Thanksgiving dinner, then took the subway into DC to see some sites.  We saw the Mall area, including the WWII memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial.  The reflecting pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial is break-taking at sunset, as you can see from the picture. We were going to see the Vietnam Memorial, but it got dark before we got a chance.  We did see some of the Korean Memorial before it got too dark to see--at little freaky in the dark until you realize that it consists of life size statues of soldiers. After this, we went to see Lincoln in the theater.  It was a very good movie.  And that concluded Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.  What a day!

Friday, we went to see Arlington National Cemetery and the changing of the guard, which is amazing.  That whole place is amazing. Wow.  After that, we hopped back on the subway (I loved the subway!) and went back to the Mall area of DC where we visited parts of the Smithsonian.  It would take a week to see it all, but Jeff and I went through one while Alli and Mary went through another.  The Smithsonian Museum of American History is such a cool place!  I wish I  could have seen some of the others, but there just was not enough time.

It was a wonderful adventure, this Thanksgiving trip to see my youngest son and his wife.  I will never forget it.  What a fantastic time we all had.  I came home thankful for my family, thankful for our wonderful nation and its rich history, and most of all thankful to God for all of it.  He not only created it all, He provided for me to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment