Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Penultimate Semester

Today I went to the college campus bookstore and returned a rented textbook, bought a scantron, then walked to my 11:00 class, where I took my final in my on-campus class. After work, I was finally able to successfully post my paper that is my final in the online class (last night and this morning before work, the online class program at my college was apparently down and I could not get my paper to post). And just like that, I was done.  I have now finished the penultimate semester of my bachelor of arts in English degree.

That last sentence was for the entertainment of my youngest child, on the off chance that he is reading this. He and I have a private joke about the word "penultimate." For the life of me, I can't remember what made it so funny in the first place, but if he is reading this, I can guarantee he is smiling right now.

I am relieved to have a break from reading, studying, and writing papers for a few months.  The last year has been intense.  There were many required books to read, papers to write, and tests to study for.  Lots of midnight oil has been burned, so to speak, and I am tired. I am ready to do some things that do not pertain to college.

I want to plant some flowers. 

I would like to work om my photo albums, and get caught up on those.

I want to read a book of my choosing and not feel guilty about it.

I want to watch a movie, either at home, or at the theater.  Or maybe both.

I want to be able to leave work when I am supposed to, instead of having to stay until 4:45 or 5:00 to make up for leaving to attend a class in the middle of the workday.

I just need a break.  Then, in just three short months, I will start the fall semester.  I will happily read the required books, write the required papers, attend the classes during the work day, since the classes I need are not offered online or in the evening.  I will gladly stay late on the days I don't have classes to make up for the hours I have missed and stay caught up on my work.  I am extremely thankful to work where I do, where education is valued and I am allowed the freedom to finish my college degree. I am so blessed.

For now, I'm on a break from classes, and it feels wonderful.  I'm going to enjoy not having to spend every minute I'm not at work on homework.

I wonder what's on Netflix?  I'm about to find out. 

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment