Monday, March 31, 2014

The Pinky and the Ladder

Last week was wonderful, busy, restful, painful, and exhilarating.....yes, all of those in the same week. I was on Spring Break last week and I was determined to paint my kitchen. I've only lived here for 4 1/2 years!  It was time.  I did the bathroom summer before last, and it was all I could do to simply paint the bathroom, which is tiny. So I knew I had a job ahead of me and I dreaded it. Plus, since then have had a string of health problems that have deterred me from jumping in on a project I knew from experience would be all or nothing.  I mean, once you start painting the kitchen, you are committed--no turning back!

I finally got started Monday afternoon with the primer coat, which was necessary because I was painting over dark wallpaper.  It took 2 coats to completely cover it, so it was Tuesday afternoon before I was finally finished with the primer. I actually painted over and behind where the fridge goes so I could put it back in place early the next day. I had a good start on the paint and got both behind the fridge and the entire adjacent wall done before I fell into bed, exhausted.

Wednesday morning, I had just started when the accident happened. No, I didn't fall off the ladder. I'm much more creative than that. I somehow caught my left pinky finger in the ladder--don't ask me how! I have no idea; it all happened so fast.  My fingernail--actually, my fake nail tip--got caught as I stepped up on the ladder and it bent forward, pulling loose from the cuticle with it my real nail instead of simply breaking off. Any of you that wear acrylic nails know that nail tips are much harder than real nails and don't break easily. I was almost nauseous from the pain, as you probably are now as you read this. I did basic first aid and thought about going to the ER, but it would have cost me $250 co-pay, plus other charges. So, I prayed for healing and after about 30 minutes, I was able to resume painting and actually finished all of it.

I did finally go to the walk-in clinic Thursday, since my doctor was out of his office last week. The x-ray showed no broken bones, but the doctor said the first joint moved some during the whole process. He was concerned about infection and prescribed antibiotics--one of the "cycline" types since I'm allergic to penicillin.  Turns out, I'm allergic to it, too. I had only taken 2 doses and started breaking out in hives. I called the next day and was prescribed a different antibiotic. So far so good.

I know it seems strange, but I am not really worried. I have confidence that this will heal completely without complications. The pain is manageable now, and with ibuprofen in me I am actually able to type using that pinky. I couldn't stand for it to be touched at all before today.

Granted, the acrylic nail probably contributed to this accident and there is more damage because of it, but this was just one of those things that occur sometimes in a physical activity like painting. I'm not going to over-analyze this. It was a freak accident.

Nothing earth-shattering or profound to share this week.  I think I'm just supposed to give thanks to God in all circumstances.  So, here goes.

I am thankful for several things:  It's not broken.  I can finally type again, though it still hurts and I am still using my pinky sparingly.  The doctor found an antibiotic that I can take to prevent infection.  It's my left hand, not my right.

And last but not least, I'm thankful and glad that I was able to paint the kitchen with God's help.  I think it looks good, and it makes me happy to have it the color I had wanted for over 4 years.  I am slowly but surely making the improvements I have wanted to make this home my own.  It's coming along.

Have a blessed week!

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment