Friday, February 14, 2014

My Valentine Loves Me

"God demonstrates His own love for us in this:  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 NIV. 

I wasn't going to post anything today.  In the past, I have posted about this day, and the pain in my heart always managed to show through.  If you've been married but are now single because of death or divorce, you know what I'm saying.  I tried to have a healthy outlook, but I always fell just short of the mark.

Earlier tonight, I was sitting here, watching the Winter Olympics and eating my supper, alone as usual.  And yet...not so alone.  I have the love of Christ in my heart.  I am not alone, because HE is with me always. There's a stirring in my heart, and it's a strange but good feeling.  It's something I haven't felt before, and yet it feels familiar.  Then it dawned on me...it's JOY.  I wasn't expecting to feel happy and joyful today, but I do.

It's unclear to me just when the transition in my heart took place.  I have gone from just enduring this day to actually enjoying it.

I can't take credit for it.  I didn't do it. This is what happened:

"...we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love." Romans 5:5 NLT

It's the love of God in my heart!  He has been at work as I went about the regular business of life. I turned my life over to Him in 1994, and He started to work in me.  He's STILL working in me, and always will be until I'm with Him.

I'm not "there" yet by any means.  None of us have "arrived" until we set foot on the other side and are in His presence. But for the first time in nearly 20 years, I didn't dread Valentines Day.  I have no more bitterness toward happily married couples.  There is no animosity in my heart anymore.  I don't know when it left, or when the bitterness evaporated.  It's just gone.

If you're struggling with being alone, whether it's your first Valentines Day alone, or your 20th, let me encourage you. God loves you with an everlasting love. Give your heart to Him, and He will fix it. He will be at work every minute of every day, putting your heart back together.  It may not happen overnight, in fact, it probably won't.  But one day you will realize your heart doesn't ache anymore.  You will feel joy again, and you will laugh again.  You just have to give it to Him and trust Him.

"I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.  With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself." Jeremiah 31:3 NLT

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment