Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Fresh Starts and Resolutions

Wow.  I was shocked when I logged in to my blog and discovered that my last post was in October.  I really had no idea it had been that long.  It was a very busy fall, but that is ridiculous!  

I made one new year's resolution this year:  to blog regularly.  My goal is to blog weekly; we'll see how it goes.  I know that readers get tired of blogs that don't post on a regular basis and I don't blame them.  I follow several blogs myself, and it is annoying to me, too.

So, with that being said, here goes with the new year of 2014.  First, I will list the reasons I was ready for 2013 to end:

Quite frankly, 2013 was a hard year for me, and I welcome a new year with a fresh start.  In 2013, I had some health issues that caused a lot of pain, and I ended up undergoing two surgical procedures; one in November and one December 30.  Neither were major, but it doesn't feel minor when you are being wheeled into surgery.

I also struggled with other issues in my life, like overcoming perfectionism, balancing my college classes with the rest of my life, and missing my adult children.  I made progress in the first two.  The last one, well, it's an ongoing struggle, but I am starting to see some improvement.  Any of you readers have children that live more than a day's drive away?  If so, maybe you can relate.  I know that it is made worse by the fact that I am single, and when they come to visit, the vacuum left when they leave is therefore very noticeable.  

Those are the problems that make me glad for a fresh start.  But, as I said, I am doing better.  There is a lot to be thankful for, too:

Number one: the spells of sadness or depression after a child has visited is less than 24 hours now, where a few years ago it could go on for days, even weeks.  

Two:  I successfully took 15 college hours last year, and only have 12 to go! Two classes this spring, and two this fall, and I will GRADUATE.  Yes.  I will graduate with a B.A. in English in December of 2014! 

Three:  I have church family members that help fill the void in the absence of my biological family.  I am so, so thankful for them.  I love them like they were blood family.  God really does "set the lonely in families" as it says in Psalm 68:6.

All in all, it was a pretty good year.  I have a lot to be thankful for, and I have hope for 2014.  It is going to be a good year. I just know it is.

So, there you have it.  The good last year outweighs the bad.  I am a blessed woman, and I thank God for what He has done in my life.  And, ready or not 2014 is here.  So here we go!  It's off to a good start...I blogged as I had planned to.  

Have a great 2014! Happy New Year everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment