Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Small Town Girl Goes to DC

The weekend before Thanksgiving had finally arrived, and I finished up packing on Saturday, then headed for Little Rock for my early Sunday morning flight. I had never spent the night in a motel by myself before--I know, I'm sheltered!--but I did ok. I couldn't find anything good on TV, so I found a movie on Netflix and watched it. Before I knew it, morning was there and I was on my way to the airport. 

I was checked in and waiting on my flight to board in record time. On the way to my gate, I found a Starbucks! I knew then it would be a good day. I spent the hour I had to wait reading, so the time passed quickly. I flew to Memphis, where I discovered that my connecting flight was boarding as I got there. I don't really like to cut it that close, but I did manage to get there before my zone was called, so it worked out. Finally! I was on my way to Washington, D.C.! It was a good flight. I read some more of my book I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron. She was a really great writer with a flair for humor. It was the perfect choice for a book to read on the plane. (Thanks Norma, for loaning it to me!). Funny is always a good idea when flying. It helps keep my mind off the things I tend to worry about when at cruising altitude.

It seemed like it took no time at all before we were coming into the D.C. area. I have included a picture of what I saw out the window. I had just enough time to get this before we were instructed to turn off electronic devices. We landed, I headed toward baggage claim, and thankfully was united with my luggage. Next I found my way to the information counter, where a very kind and helpful man gave me a map to the city's excellent subway system. It's an intricate and very organized color coded (my OCD loved this!) network of trains and stops that get you anywhere you want to go in Washington, D.C.

I was so impressed! I discovered that I had to get on the yellow line, ride to Gallery Place, and switch to a subway on the red line, which would take me to Union Station, where I had to get on an Amtrak train to Charlottesville, VA. This was an amazing experience, and this small town girl had a blast! I managed to navigate the subways without a hitch, and was soon at Union Station. I had to wait over 2 hours for my train, but I spent the time finding the right gate, eating lunch, and just generally taking in the whole experience. 

My train came, I boarded it, and I was finally all settled in for the 2 hour train ride to Charlottesville. The sun was setting as we left DC, and it was beautiful! I got a picture as we crossed the Potomac River. 

I really enjoyed the train ride. It was a great experience. I had never ridden a train before, and even though I had my book and intended to read, I kept getting distracted with all the sights we were passing. I arrived in Charlottesville about 7:30, and Jeff, Alli, and Alli's mom, Mary, were there to meet my train. 

More to follow in the next post as I tell about my fabulous trip to Virginia and Washington, D.C. on Thanksgiving break 2012. 

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment