Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Forecast for the New Year

"Day by day the Lord takes care of the innocent, and they will receive an inheritance that lasts forever. They will not be disgraced in hard times; even in famine they will have more than enough." Psalm 37:18-19 NLT.

I sat up to see the new year of 2013 in, as I usually do.  As I sat here, a few minutes before midnight, I was praying and asking the Lord for protection and provision in the coming year. Times are uncertain, even scary these days.  None of us can be absolutely sure how the nation's economic situation will affect us personally.  As I was thinking about this, the Lord led me to Psalm 37.  It is jam-packed with promises for God's own; those who have put their trust in Him.  Most Christians are aware of the opening verses, that promise we need not "fret because of evildoers," but dig a little deeper and you will find many more promises.

"Trust in the Lord and do good.  Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.  Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" it says in verses 3 and 4.  "The wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in the Lord will possess the land." (verse 9). "The Lord directs the steps of the godly.  He delights in every detail of their lives.  Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." (verses 23-24).

Those are pretty good promises if you ask me.  If we really believe God and take Him at His word, we have no reason to fear.  There are promises all throughout His word that proclaim that He is our provider, protector, and Savior.  He will take care of those who put their faith and trust in Him. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what God will do in this new year.  People all around are worrying and wringing their hands, proclaiming doom and despair.  They might say I just don't understand how big a mess our economy is in.  My answer to them is, they don't understand how big my God is.

"The Lord rescues the godly; He is their fortress in times of trouble.  The Lord helps them,  rescuing them from the wicked. He saves them, and they find shelter in Him." Psalm 37:39-40. NLT.

No comments:

Post a Comment