Monday, May 23, 2011

Our Bulwark

"A mighty fortress is our God; a bulwark never failing...."

It is another stormy night here in tornado alley.  Outside, the wind is howling, the thunder rumbling, and the rain pouring.  On the heels of a disastrous killer tornado in Joplin, MO just last night, here comes yet another storm.  It is very tempting to panic.  It would be perfectly understandable to be afraid when all alone during a violent storm.  

Except that I'm not alone.  Jesus is with me every second of every day.  Instead of giving in to fear, I turn to the Bible, God's word, and there I find strength:

"When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.  In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid." Psalm 56:3,4.  

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the LORD, 'My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!'.... 
He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. 
You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day; 
Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.
A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand,
But it shall not approach you." Psalm 91:1-7

Know what a bulwark is?  We had this discussion while singing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" one time at praise team practice.  I looked it up:  

bul·wark

1. a wall of earth or other material built for defense; rampart.
2. any protection against external danger, injury, or annoyance.
3. any person or thing giving strong support or encouragement in time of need, danger, or doubt.

When I watched the movie Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, I got a visual for what a bulwark was.  At one point, they were hidden away in the stronghold, which was cut into the mountain and reinforced with stone. I suddenly realized that is essentially what God does for us when we trust in Him.  He hides us away, safe in His stronghold.

This is how I get through tough times.  I am a big chicken. I get afraid, just like lots of others do. I have no courage on my own. I just know where to go:  I run to my Father's arms and wait out the storm.  He has never failed me.  He never will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment