Wednesday, July 8, 2009

why worry?

From a Dec. 2007 journal entry:

Sometimes fear still sticks its ugly head up and sneers at me. I'll bet if you're honest, it does it to you, too. The kind of fear I'm talking about is defined by Merriam-Webster as "to be afraid or apprehensive." Yes, I do get afraid of just being alone sometimes, but that's not what I'm feeling now. I am talking about anxiety and apprehension over the future. Sometimes it's a little scary being on your own. There is no one to sit beside me in the evening to say, "You can do it—you're going to be alright." Or IS there.....?

Yes! As a matter of fact, there is Someone who never leaves me. He is there when I am down; He is there when I am up. He is always there because He promised He would be. I'm talking about my best friend, Jesus. He is as close as the mention of His name. Whisper "Jesus." He is right there, leaning toward you, ready to listen to whatever you have to say.

Over the last 10 years, He has become so precious to me. Even though divorce is a wicked thing, it has brought me so much closer to the Lord. Because I found myself alone most of the time, I had to learn to run to Him for my every need. Sometimes He has provided a friend to listen, advise, or just cry with me, and sometimes it's just Him and me. He always knows best which I need, and I have learned to leave that up to Him.

Like tonight. Finals week can be daunting, and that's where we came in: fear. Yes, I'll admit, I was feeling a little fearful earlier. I went to the Lord and asked Him to guide me and relieve me of fear. He reminded me in Isaiah 45:2, "I'll go ahead of you, clearing and paving the road. I'll break down bronze city gates, smash padlocks, kick down barred entrances." (The Message) He also reminded me:

"you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared."
Proverbs 3:23-26 (NIV)

That pretty much covers it! He is going before me and preparing the way, so I don't need to worry about the future. He is protecting my every step, and even guarantees that I will even sleep in safety. He has thought of everything!

So, why should I worry? I shouldn't—and neither should you. Give it to Jesus, my friend. He is waiting for you, and He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment